F2 Visa for Depenedents of F1 Visa Holders

Those who have the F1 visa are allowed to study in the U.S in various education levels, starting from elementary to graduate school. They are also allowed to work in certain situations, but primarily they go to the U.S to study. In case they have dependents, such as a spouse or unmarried children under 21 years old, they are allowed to bring them in the U.S too. This can be done with an F2 dependent visa.

The F2 visa is directly related to the conditions that the F1 visa holder has. There is no cap for it, dependents should just fulfill the requirements and complete the application procedures to get the visa.

Eligiblity for an F2 Visa?

To be eligible for an F2 visa, you must fulfill the following criteria:

  • Be the spouse of an approved F1 visa holder, or
  • Be the unmarried child under 21 years old of an approved F1 visa holder
  • Have the financial means to support the family during your stay in the U.S

Besides these conditions there are also documents that you need to compile before you can begin your F2 visa application.

F2 Visa Requirements

Here are the requirements for an F2 visa application:

  • Your current and previous passports.
  • Photocopies of your passport pages.
  • The DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Proof of financial stability. You can use bank or tax records, employment pay slips, etc as proof.
  • A USA Visa Photograph. The photo must be taken within the last six months.
  • Interview confirmation letter.
  • The receipts which prove you have paid the necessary fees.
  • The DS-160 confirmation page.
  • Your original Form I-20 and one copy.
  • A copy of the F1 visa holder’s I-20 form.
  • A copy of the F1 visa (if applicable).
  • If you are applying separately, the copy of the F1 visa holder’s passport.
  • Original marriage certificate if you are the spouse of the F1 visa holder.
    • Genuine marriage proof such as:
      • Wedding album.
      • Wedding guest list.
      • Receipts of wedding spendings.
      • Receipts of honeymoon trips.
    • If married at the registrar, submit the wedding affidavit and pictures of you and your spouse with the wedding witnesses.
  • Original birth certificate if you are the child of the F1 visa holder.

F2 Status Change

With an F2 visa, you are also allowed to apply to change your status. If you enroll in an academic degree with an SEVP approved institution, you will have to apply for an F1 visa and you might get a change of status. In addition, if you find a job which requires an H type work visa such as an H-1B visa, you and your employer can petition with USCIS and follow the appropriate procedures to change your status.

If you are the unmarried child under 21 years old of an F1 visa holder and you turn 21 while in the U.S, you will have to apply for a different type of visa to remain in the U.S. This is because you will no longer qualify as the dependent of the F1 visa holder and will have to return to your home country if you do not get a different type of U.S visa.